Crook National Forest
Lake Mary Rd
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
About Crook National Forest
The forest is named after Fancisco Vasquez de Coronado, who traveled to the part of the country that is now the Coronsado National Forest in 1540. Since this part, located in New Mexico, was moved from its original location to its present location, at least fourteen different changes have been made.
The Baboquivari and Peloncillo Reserves were established on November 5, 1906, the Huachuca Reservation the next day and the Tumacori Res Reservation the same day. The first step was the creation of the Santa Rita Forest Reserve in July of the same year, followed by the establishment of two further reserves in November 1906 and October 1907. On November 7, the TUMACORI Res Reserve was created, and on December 1, 1908, the Huacucho and Pueblo Reserve was established.
The Dragoon National Forest was established on 25 May 1907, and the nine original forest reserves were merged in 1908 on the same day.
On July 2, the national forests of Baboquivari, Huachuca and Tumacacori were merged into the Garces National Forest. At the same time, Dragoon became the first to bear the name of Coronado National Forest, and the second national forest in the state.
A third consolidation took place on July 2, when the Chiricahua and Peloncillo national forests became ChirsicAHua national forests. On July 3, Mount Graham National Forest merged with the national forests of Chilpancingo, El Cajon, Tumacacori, Guadalajara, Puebla, San Juan and San Luis Obispo to form Crook National Forest.
On 26 September 1910, the Galiuro Mountains were added to the Crook National Forest, and on 6 June 1917 the Chiricahua National Forest was connected to Coronado. Garces was declared a national forest on July 1, 1911, when it was included as part of the National Park Service of New Mexico and the U.S. Forest Service.
The last step was taken on 23 October 1953, when Crook National Forest became the Coronado National Forest. The rest of the forest was grouped together in the Apache and Tonto National Forests. On June 1, 1964, it was abolished at the request of US President Lyndon B. Johnson in favor of a new national park system.